Friday, May 26, 2006

Mangoes

Saturday, 13 May 2006
"Transnational" left Puduraya bus terminal as scheduled - 0900 hrs. It was not as cold as I experienced before. I guess because we were travelling in the day. Last time I was travelling in the middle of night! And this time, I was able to turn the airconditioning ventilator, that is directly blowing to me, completely off.

I enjoyed one bus resting point on the way. There were all kinds of fruits sold but what caught my attention were the different types of mangoes sold. These are 4 of them.

Top row: Mangga Okim (6 Ringgit/kg), Mangga Udang (7 Ringgit/Kg)
Bottom row: Mangga Raja (6 Ringgit/kg), Mangga Cukanan (6 Ringgit/kg)



Funny names! 'Udang' means prawns and 'Raja' means king. Yet 'Udang' is bigger than 'Raja'. 'Mangga' means Mango. It was named 'Udang' because they said it has the shape of a prawn. Is it? It is the biggest mango I have ever seen in my life however I understood from the vendor that the Mangga Udang comes in bigger size (3 times bigger that I saw this day). Wow!

1 comment:

Iain Cameron said...

Mmmmm! I just love mango. it is so interesting to see so many different kinds. We get fresh, imported, mango in Scotland but I would really like to taste these ones fresh in Malaysia